Sunday, January 11, 2009

Happy 2009



So, I moved on feeling fully rested from my seaside sojourn but it all went downhill from there. I went to stay with my old friend Shaztastic in Esher. We met at University and cannily went into property development together at the last peak in 1988 - a shared two-bedroomed flat in Tooting. We remained in negative equity for the next 9 years until we sold it for a large loss. Move over Dragons! We had a great evening out in wine bars and a Sherpa restaurant in Esher and stayed up drinking champagne until 2.30am, just like old times. The following morning we walked to collect the car and had a lazy latte in a coffee bar. Old friends really are gold.

Next stop was Lurch's school friend, his wife and two children in Berkshire on New Year's Eve. I arrived at about 2.30pm and met up with Lurch and the boys, fresh from their Belgian holiday. Lovely to see them. Lurch's friend and his wife are good fun but they drink very heavily, and smoke like chimneys. She is very big in the city and very small in the body. They don't eat much but were already on gigantic glasses of wine by the time I arrived. I knew I had to pace myself otherwise I wouldn't last.

I'm absolutely convinced I was sober at 11.50pm because I can distinctly remember being on vocals to 'Living on a Prayer' on Guitar Hero accompanied by the children on guitar and drums, refusing to let anyone else have a go in the limelight. I can also remember looking at Lurch's friend and thinking he was just like a purple Papa Lazaru with his flushed face, black lips ringed with purple stains and tiny black eyes as he bent to kiss me for Happy New Year! Happy New Year to you too! Cheers! Yes, another one, why not? It's New Year...



Dear me, the next morning was shocking. I could hardly move but Lurch informed me that I had 45 minutes before we were due at a diplomat's drinks party to celebrate his recent return to the UK from Asia Pacific. What! I may not have been big in the city but I was certainly enormous in my size 12 velvet Jigsaw trousers. I could scarcely do them up and I felt seriously ill. Although a former tabber the smoking had dramatically affected my eyes, I looked like an ageing rabbit dying of mixamotosis and had to admit that I am no longer the party animal I once was, I needed food to revive me. The party was hard going, lovely people but still strangers and a lot of small talk. I noticed a few canapes on the Aga so I tucked in before I passed out, they were a bit hard but at least it was sustenance. The hostess was looking at me strangely so I smiled but she moved over and said 'I'll just pop these in the oven to cook, excuse me' - I'd been eating raw spring rolls. We had a very quiet day and then returned home.

Since then I've been very busy with work so I know this is a little late in the day, month or year but I'd just like to wish you all a very happy 2009. Cheers! (I'm toasting with hot water and lemon, by the way...)

13 comments:

Expat mum said...

Who knew such a good time could be had in Esher? I stay round the corner (East Molesey) every summer. Must do some reccy'ing this year.

Lori ann said...

Happy New Year to you too Mama! and yes, hot water and lemon are probably a good idea after champagne,wine and raw canapes! Cheers!
xx

ADDY said...

Happy New Year to you too!

Mean Mom said...

That sounds like a fun start to 2009, to me! It certainly gave me a giggle or 2. Love the phrase 'big in the city and small in the body'.

Raw spring rolls. Yum!

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

Happy new year hen! Much healthier to eat raw spring rolls unless they had chicken in them! Urghh!

Suburbia said...

Sounds like your new year was great fun! Belated Happy New Year to you (thank goodness the frozen things didn't give you food poisoning!)

Stinking Billy said...

mama, "She is very big in the city and very small in the body."

Priceless! x

Grit said...

happy new year!

cheshire wife said...

Sounds like you have been doing some serious partying! All the best for 2009.

kerry jean lister said...

Happy New Year!

And when one has a hangover I believe ANY food is acceptable.

I'm doing some work with parent bloggers at the moment and would love to have a chat. Do drop me an email if you get chance =)

Kerry @MLBB

Salute said...

Happy New Year to you too.

The Accidental Author said...

BTM - Happy New Year! I'm a bit of a whizz at the drums on 'Mr Crowley' on Guitar Hero. I've always secretly wanted to be a female Chester Thompson. Not quite sure I'm up to the mark yet. Ahh, Esher, civilisation! VLiF

Stinking Billy said...

mama, are you okay, sweetheart? x